design


Thursday, May 13, 2010

The aftermath...


Ok, so as you all know; yes all four of you who read my blog yesterday, it was my first shot at blogging. Today is my second. I should have known when I heard the water running for the dogs there was a reason that Lucas was starting a bath for them. After I said goodbye to my first ever blog, I proceeded away from the comfort of my office chair and out into the abyss of my living room. As I walked, I noticed a gritty substance underfoot. As my eyes wandered around the room, there was a faint hue of grayness everywhere. As I looked closer, I saw what it was, pepper. Pepper you say, yes, pepper. The kind that if you put too much on your food it's hot and if you don't put enough on it's blah... pepper.

As I continued to make my way into the bathroom where water was running I noticed the smell of pepper - which meant there was a lot. More than I had originally thought. I got to the bathroom only to find our two beloved white rescue dogs to be of a different color. They looked a bit like my mom did in her younger years as her dark hair was turning a shade of silver. They were covered. Eyes watering. Sneezing. Before my normally 'oh so calm self' began to bubble over in anger I glanced at my three year old. He was beginning to cry. He already knew the trouble he was in. He looked up at me with his huge blue eyes and said, "I fix it mommy". He wanted to fix what he had done, hence the bath. Oh, how often in my life do I feel that same way and want to 'fix it'. At that moment I had a choice. I had a choice to yell and scream like my flesh really wanted to. Or, I had a choice to forgive. Sure, his eyes could have been watering from the massive amounts of pepper that were in the air. But, I chose to believe they were heartfelt tears of regret for the damage he had done.

After we cleaned Lucas up, the dogs up and then myself up we proceeded to sweep the rest of the house. As we both swept (yes, it was hard to let him sweep - he was making bigger mess, but I just couldn't say no) I reflected on the moment. So many times in my life I screw things up and then try to fix it myself. I know all I need to do is allow Jesus to fix it, and yet I still try. Man, I've wasted a lot of minutes doing that. It took a good hour to sweep the rest of the pepper. Then three hours later, I found the salt. I must have not noticed it at first because the color blended in with the dogs fur. I'm sure glad God has forgiven me for all the salt and pepper I've spilled along the way.

And so, as I reflect on my first day of blogging I've learned two very important lessons. #1 - don't get so engrossed in distractions that life gets left behind. #2 - always have a back-up salt and pepper for dinner in the cupboard, just in case.

Blessings,
Shari and Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment